Can You Live Without Disaster Insurance?
Human caused disasters and natural disasters occur in every state. California has earthquakes and wild fires, Colorado has flooding and wildfires, the Northeast has snow, ice, flooding, winter storms and high winds, Florida has flooding and hurricanes, and the Midwest has flooding and tornados.
Insurance And Disasters
It is safe to say that most business and homeowner’s insurance policies do not cover the risks associated with disasters. The only exception would be damage caused by wildfires. Let’s look at how insurance might apply to other disasters.
- Floods-- Only 13% of U.S. homeowners had flood-insurance policies last year according to the Insurance Information Institute, a trade group. Flood insurance must be purchased through the National Flood Insurance Program. We can help you if you need the coverage.
- Earthquake-- While earthquakes occur mainly in certain areas, there are registered earthquakes in every state, every year. Earthquake insurance also must be added or purchased under a separate policy.
- Hurricanes-- Most property insurance policies provide coverage for losses resulting from hurricanes, except for flood loss associated with the hurricane. If you live in a high wind area, you will need to have a separate policy to cover your home and personal property.
- Tornadoes-- Damage from tornadoes typically is covered, since it usually is considered wind damage.
- Mudslides-- A standard home insurance policy does not protect your home against damage caused by a mudslide. Mudslides are usually defined as ground movement. Heavy rains that cause a mudflow would typically be covered.
- Heavy Snow and Winter Storms-- Winter storms and snow damage is covered under a typical homeowner’s policy. If flooding occurs, then the flood damage would be covered.
- Hail-- Most homeowner’s insurance policies provide coverage for losses resulting from hail.
Coverage disclaimer--the information provided here is for general purposes only. It is not our intent to change or modify insurance coverage. Each insurance policy is different and your individual coverage will be determined by the terms of your insurance policy.
Worthington Insurance specializing in competitive auto, home, contractor and business insurance as well as insurance in Philadelphia, Yardley, Morrisville, Langhorne, Newtown, Bensalem, Levittown, Bucks County and surrounding areas in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.