The sharing economy is on the rise in America, with many people using their home for rental property. like homes (with Airbnb or VRBO)
More and more people are using services like VRBO and Airbnb to find vacation rentals. As a result, many people are using their homes to develop rental income. A standard homeowner’s policy may not cover losses incurred while your home is rented out. You may require a more specialized insurance policy.
Key Homeowner’s Insurance Concerns With Rental Property
· Homeowner’s insurance will not cover rental property.
· You need insurance when you do not occupy the same residence as your tenant. You will also need special insurance if you are renting out your own home temporarily, or sharing accommodations such as your basement level, with a renter.
· Consider liability coverage in the event your renter is injured on your premises.
· Consult a local attorney who is knowledgeable in home rental laws in your area. Some cities have new laws that make it easier (or harder) to legally rent out part of your home if you’re not a licensed hotel or B&B.
· VRBO, Airbnb and other rental sites may require proof of insurance.
There are only a few insurance carriers willing to write an Airbnb liability insurance policy. We have experience with insurers who handle this kind of risk. While sharing economy companies like AirBnB and VRBO offer a “master agreement” that seems to cover a lot, reviewing that with an actual insurance agent will always be in your best interest to ensure adequate coverage.
It is important to note that not all homeowner’s policies are created equal, and what one company offers may not be the same as another company. Also keep in mind, if you bought your policy online, who really knows what coverage you have?
Worthington Insurance specializing in competitive auto, home, contractor and business insurance as well as insurance in Philadelphia, Yardley, Morrisville, Langhorne, Newtown, Bensalem, Levittown, Bucks County and surrounding areas in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
Get a flood quote now