An Auto Insurance and Safety Update
The National Safety Council reports that cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million auto accidents each year. Nearly 390,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving. One out of every four auto accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving. 10% of all fatal crashes and 15% of injury crashes in 2017 were distraction-affected. Driver distraction is responsible for more than 58% of teen auto accidents. These are sobering statistics.
Clearly, we all recognize that we need tools to help teens and other drivers understand the risk of texting while driving. It is also important to have an annual review of your auto insurance to make sure you have the best possible combination of coverage, price, and service.
Here are a few tips to help stop texting and driving.
1. Talk to your teen about the problem. Even a one-word text takes about 5 seconds, and a car can travel 100 yards in that period.
2. Develop a family pledge that everyone will not text and drive.
3. Talk about the facts over dinner. Here are a few good links. Distracted Driving, Texting
4. There are a number of helpful apps that can be added to your phones:
- DriveMode from AT&T: When DriveMode is activated, it will automatically silence the notification sounds of incoming texts, emails, and even your phone calls. It will send an automatic reply to the sender or caller that you are driving and can't respond. Sprint, Verizon, and T-Mobile make similar apps, although they are not all free.
- DriveScribe App: Available in Google Play and Apple's App Store. The free app uses a jamming function to block all texts and calls when it is switched to "driver mode."
- OneProtect App: OneProtect provides even more control. Once the app is installed on a teen's phone, the parent can turn the app on remotely, making it impossible for a teen to turn the app off.
Worthington Insurance specializing in competitive auto, home, contractor and business insurance as well as insurance in Philadelphia, Yardley, Morrisville, Langhorne, Newtown, Bensalem, Levittown, Bucks County and surrounding areas in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
Get a flood quote now