There are a number of devastating events that, should they occur, would create serious problems for your family. These events can include floods, tornados, or other natural disasters. It is never too late to get prepared, and the first step is to build a disaster kit for you and your family.
We also recommend that everyone review their personal insurance program, specifically your homeowner’s insurance, to make sure that you have the right coverage in the event of a disaster.
A basic emergency kit should include the following:
- Three day supply of food and water
- Sanitation and personal hygiene items
- Basic tools
- Solar power source for smart phone
- Dust masks for every family member
- First aid kit
Other items to consider
- Create a personal backpack for each family member
- Have a pre-determined meeting place if separated from family
- Think about what your pet needs may be
- Would you need to build a shelter? Having plastic sheeting might help
- Basic services such as electricity, gas, water, sewage treatment, and telephones may be cut off for days, a week, or longer. Your supply kit should contain items to help you manage during these outages.
The America Red Cross offers more help,Here
It is important to note that not all homeowner’s policies are created equal, and what one company offers may not be the same as another company. Also keep in mind, if you bought your policy online, who really knows what coverage you have?
Worthington Insurance specializing in competitive auto, home, contractor and business insurance as well as insurance in Philadelphia, Yardley, Morrisville, Langhorne, Newtown, Bensalem, Levittown, Bucks County and surrounding areas in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.