When we speak about insurance, we try to remind people that there are things you can control and things that are out of your control. It is essential to focus your attention on the actions that can help keep your auto insurance premiums as low as possible. These include; driving in a safe manner, keeping your vehicle in good repair, educating your teens through driver education, and using an independent agent to shop your auto insurance.
There are also factors that are out of your control. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, these are the factors as to why auto insurance premiums are on the rise.
- An increase in distracted driving accidents. Nine people die every day as a result of distracted driving, and 400,000 are injured annually. At any given time over 600,000 drivers are using mobile devices while they are driving.
- Advance technology in newer vehicles. The cost to repair newer vehicles has increased due to the advanced technology utilized in newer vehicles.
- Rising medical costs. Medical cost has increased by 3% in the last five years.
- There are more vehicles on the road which increase the probability of having accidents.
- The average cost of vehicle repair has risen by 24% over the past eight years.
- Weather-related auto accidents cause billions of dollars each year.
There are many things you can do to keep your auto rates at the lowest level possible.
- Review your deductibles. According to the Insurance Information Institute, raising your deductible from $200 to $500 could reduce your Collision and Comprehensive costs by 15 to 20 percent.
- Encourage your student driver to get the best grades possible. Most major insurance companies offer a discount for students in good academic standing.
- Select a safe car. Check out which cars are popular with thieves and avoid them. Also, the more expensive the car, the higher the premiums.
- Be a safe driver. The more accidents and tickets you have, the higher the premiums will be.
- Purchase a car with an alarm or LoJack. LoJack® Stolen Vehicle Recovery System provides car owners with peace of mind knowing that if their vehicle is stolen, they have the best chance of getting it back.
- Be loyal. Many auto insurance companies offer loyalty discounts if you stay with them over time.
- Check for other auto insurance discounts. These might include taking safe driver courses, senior discounts and more.
Worthington Insurance specializing in competitive auto, home, contractor and business insurance as well as insurance in Philadelphia, Yardley, Morrisville, Langhorne, Newtown, Bensalem, Levittown, Bucks County and surrounding areas in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
Get a flood quote now