A Personal Liability Update
Many people say the problem with insurance is you never know what you have until you have a claim. We hope to dispel that by providing you with education regarding your personal insurance policies. Here is one example. If you rent out part of your home on a site like Airbnb, your homeowner's insurance will not provide the insurance coverage you need. In fact, Airbnb states that 95% of their hosts do not carry the necessary insurance. A typical homeowner or renter’s insurance policy has a business exclusion. Your homeowner’s insurance is not designed to cover any business or commercial operations.
The good news is that there are insurers that have products that can address the needs of people using Airbnb. While each risk is unique, here are some examples of the kind of insurance you may need to cover your Airbnb risk.
- Liability coverage with limits of at least $1,000,000.
- Building and contents coverage with “all risk” coverage. Replacement cost coverage with the full replacement value.
- Business income coverage, covering loss of rents.
- Coverage for property damage caused by the renter.
- No vacancy or standard occupancy restrictions.
- Liability coverage for pets and liquor liability.
- A business umbrella policy, adding additional limits.
Worthington Insurance specializing in competitive auto, home, contractor and business insurance as well as insurance in Philadelphia, Yardley, Morrisville, Langhorne, Newtown, Bensalem, Levittown, Bucks County and surrounding areas in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
Get a flood quote now